I recently made whole wheat blueberry scones for an afternoon tea time enjoyed by the whole family.
While the kids were home on Christmas break from school, they worked outside with my husband for a couple hours each afternoon on our land-clearing project. They’d build up an appetite long before dinner — and it was cold out.
Tea time was the perfect respite from their labors, refueling them with some warm herbal tea with honey, and of course, a treat.We had muffins some days and gingerbread another, but these seemed even better for an Irish-American tea time tradition.
Recipe for Blueberry Scones
- 2 cups home-milled white wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 TB butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- Cut in butter with a pastry cutter, until pieces are very small and coated in flour.
- Add sugar.
- Add the beaten egg while folding mixture with a rubber spatula.
- Add the milk and blueberries, mixing gently to form a dough.
- On a floured board, form dough into a circle about 1″ thick.
- Cut dough into 6-8 wedges and place on a greased pan.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool.
And everyone loved them.
Have you baked something fun recently? Share with us in the comments…